The Federal Government has raised the alarm that Boko Haram insurgents are planning abduction of pupils/students or foreigners to raise funds, through ransom, for food, medical and arms supply.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammd, in a statement Friday, said the planned abduction would be in line with the terrorists’ style of focusing on soft targets since their capacity to stage spectacular attacks had been substantially degraded.
Mohammed disclosed that the defeated insurgents were targeting motor parks, schools and entertainment centres.
He stated: “The kidnap of the Chibok girls in 2014, which attracted global attention to the terrorist group, is what it is now trying to repeat, hoping it can find vulnerable targets, especially schools, or a group of foreigners outside the frontline states,” the statement said.
“The plan by Boko Haram is also part of an overall strategy by the terrorists to seek to negatively impact on the psyche of the gallant troops who have routed them (terrorists) from their stronghold and also give the impression that they have not been largely defeated by the December 2015 deadline given by this Administration to effectively degrade the insurgency in the North-east.
“This is why we have decided to issue this alert to enable the authorities of both public primary and secondary schools in remote locations, particular in the Northern states, to upgrade security arrangements.
“It is also aimed at alerting the general public, operators of hotels and entertainment centres, motor parks and similar facilities to also upgrade their security arrangements for the holidays”.